Friday, May 4, 2007

ENJOYING EVERY PHASE OF LIFE

There are phases in the life of every living being, and there are special features and characteristics peculiar to every stage; if their peculiarities are not maximized, they cannot be enjoyed again.

The Butterfly, representing how every living being has its own stages of development, has four stages: Egg, LArva, Pupa, Butterfly. Each of these stages has its own peculiarity. To go to the next stage, the egg needs to completes its own course, and likewise the other stages.

Every stage/phase of life is important as no two days are the same, no two opportunities are the same, and no two individuals are also the same. It is thus paramount that one maximizes the various stops and points in every phase.

I remember there was a time when I was in the elementary school. That phase of my life was one which was primarily governed by my parents, tutors and other grown-ups. Whatever happened in that phase did not really depend on me, but whatever I did or failed to do cannot be recovered or reversed. That was a phase.

There was also a time when I was in the High school (or Secondary School as is known here). This stage was jointly managed by me and my parents. Though I had a bit of freedom, they also still had a great deal of influence over me and my decisions. Then I met a lot of different people, learnt from different types of tutors, and made decisions that would affect my future; positively or negatively. At this stage, which also coincided with adolescence, a lot of my friends took liberty for freedom as they engaged in all sorts of personal and social vices; I won’t blame them now, they were just enjoying that phase.

My days in the University were also very interesting. It was a stage in my life where a lot of things about me were exposed to me. I discovered in myself a great deal of abilities and talents. I met a lot of people who I know will rule the world in our days. I participated in all sorts. In the true sense of it, I had control (90%) of my life and I could do anything I wanted with it. It’s a phase I’ll never forget.

Finally and presently, the stage I’m in now is also peculiar. After the compulsory one year National Service for every Nigerian graduate, my life is completely a factor of what I do with it. What I do now or fail to do now will determine what I’ll meet in the future.

What I am really driving at is this: there are peculiarities to every phase of life and if you fail to enjoy that phase, exhibiting certain behaviour in a higher phase would be seen as immaturity, lack of focus, underdevelopment, etc. For example, there were times in my high school days when I used to join other young lads of my age to play soccer on the street, especially on days when movement is restricted. Everybody could understand then that it was a phase when children played a lot and displayed a lot of youthful exuberance. But if today I choose to do the same thing, I’ll be a disgrace to adulthood, and everything that is me.

Another example is this. In my university days, I participated in a number of the many student protests against the University Authorities. Many times we postponed exams for selfish reasons, we stopped movements in the school by force, we took over the power house of the school, took over the school gate, did a lot of lecture boycotts, etc. All these were peculiar to that stage, and anyone that did not participate then would have missed a great part of ‘education’. Although today am counting the losses caused by the delays and interruptions of the academic calendar due to our protests, I still feel good I did those things then. I possibly cannot do them now, I’ll look miserable.

During my National Service, I was involved in a number of projects and community development activities. The Nigeria Christian Corpers Fellowship which I belonged to also carried out a number of life-changing outreaches to the very rural communities, where a lot of humanitarian activities were done. I’m happy I did. Who knows, I might not have that sort of free time to do all that again. So, enjoying it then was the best option. This is what I mean by Enjoying Every Phase Of Life.

Lesson:
Whatever phase of life you find yourself, enjoy it. Do everything possible to make your impact felt at every stage of your life. Enjoy the leisure times, the hard works, the people you meet, the trying times and challenging periods, the moments of joy and increase, and so on. You cannot have it exactly the same way again- if at all you have that opportunity again.

Life is Good, enjoy it, but make sure you are making positive impact.

No comments: